Monday, March 12, 2012

Dr. Seuss's The Lorax

I AM

With SPRING just around the corner, last week’s READ ACROSS AMERICA day in honor of Dr. Seuss’s birthday, and the recent release of THE LORAX movie, I’m finding myself a little LORAX OBSESSED!


I don’t know if it’s the environmentally friendly message that the LORAX has to offer, or simply Dr. Seuss’s whimsical ability to bring out the child in all of us that has me craving EVERYTHING LORAX, but just in case you’re feeling it too, here are a few ideas to help you incorporate the LORAX into your life…














 WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

-  Orange, white, blue, and yellow nail 
   polish
- I used:  SINFUL COLORS Cloud 9 and
  ART CLUB yellow, sky blue, and white







PROCEDURE:

STEP 1:  Paint all your nails Orange
STEP 2:  Add a yellow line to each nail (like a FRENCH MANICURE)
STEP 3:  Add a yellow dot for the nose
STEP 4:  Add 2 large white dots with 2 small blue dots inside for the eyes
STEP 5:  Add yellow eyebrows (Sorry, I forgot this step in the picture)




With SPRING rapidly approaching, it’s time to take a tip from the LORAX and start planting again.  Create these easy to make LORAX PLANT LABELS to make this process even more fun.


WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

-        An image of the LORAX (CLICK HERE for the image I found)

-        White cardstock

-        Popsicle sticks

-        Glue (I used a glue gun for fast drying)

PROCEDURE:
STEP 1:  Copy and paste your image into an image editing program such as Power Point
               or Paint.

STEP 2:  Size the image to the size you want (you may want to print out a test sheet to
               see how it looks on your popsicle stick before editing the image.
STEP 3:  Insert a rectangle box onto the image

STEP 4:  Insert a text box inside the rectangle and label the image.  To make several
               different labels, simply highlight the whole image and copy and paste it into
               the document several times.  Then, Change the text of each label.

STEP 5:  Print and cut the image, and glue each LORAX to a Popsicle stick.  If you are
               planning on using these stick outdoors, you should laminate them first.  You can 
               have them laminated at your local office supply store or you can use contact       
               paper from your craft supply store. 

STEP 6:  Happy Planting!






 Add new meaning to your tree pose with this hand painted LORAX YOGA MAT!


WHAT YOU'LL NEED:


-       













-     Acrylic Paint
Colors:  Green, Yellow, Magenta, White, Black, and Sky Blue (only if you don’t already have a blue yoga mat).
-        Assorted paint brushes
-        A template of the LORAX (find a picture online, size it, print it, and cut it out.  TADA!! – you have yourself a template)
-        A yoga mat (save yourself some time by buying a light blue mat, and save yourself some money by finding a cheap one at a discount store.  I found mine at AMAZING SAVINGS for $7.99)
-        A light colored marker
PROCEDURE:
STEP 1:  Start out by drawing your design in marker (use a light color marker
               because dark colors can be hard to cover with paint).  Use your LORAX
               template to outline the LORAX.

STEP 2:  Next, paint each section with the correct color. You will have to do several
               coats to create a solid look and to prevent wear. Let dry before each coat.
   Also, be sure to leave a small space between each section so you know where   
   your outline will go.  This is especially important for the grass section.
 


STEP 3:  Once you’re done painting all the sections, use your black paint and a fine
               brush to outline. 
Don’t be afraid to let the kids help with this.  Mistakes are easy to wipe off or paint over, and your little helpers will love this family activity.



Now here's one tree pose the LORAX would surely approve of:


Feel free to create your own designs as well.  Here's the mat the Kayla, my eight year old, painted all by herself:



This is a great way to express yourself, and it’s sure to bring your yoga practice to the next level.   
Who wouldn’t want to spend every minute practicing yoga on a mat like this?

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. these are AWESOME!!! I love The Lorax too!! My 3 year old and I saw it and she thought it was pretty awesome! I am definitely going to be doing some plant labels when we get home AND the yoga mat is such a good idea!!!

    I found you through the link up with Kindra over @ At Home With K!!

    Super job!

    Lisa @ momdad2girlsandbrutus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a perpetual resident of Testosterone Land. However, I am borrowing our friends' girls for part of next week. We might just have to have a Lorax manicure! Great idea. Thanks for sharing with Rook No. 17.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw... so many fun projects! Thanks for sharing @ Manic Monday.
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute idea! I'd love it if you'd share it over at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute ideas -- love the yoga mat! Thanks for linking on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy! Hope to see you again soon – the links are open!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of your Lorax crafts! My kids would love to do these! THanks for sharing!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you shared this at Whimsy Wednesdays. As a teacher, I love it when children's stories come to life for the children. I look forward to seeing what you'll share this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! Your Lorax creations are absolutely wonderful! I know that they caught a lot of readers' eyes at Rook No. 17 last week too. I'm featuring your post on my Facebook page today.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids and I enjoyed the movie so much! I love all your sweet projects. :) I featured your mat on this week's Terrific Under Ten Tuesday!

    http://www.athomewithk.blogspot.com/2012/03/terrific-under-ten-tuesday-55.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are loving the book as well and here is what we did last week http://katescreativekitchen.blogspot.ca/2012/03/truffula-trees.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. What cute Lorax ideas!! The Lorax is by far my favorite children's book. I'm hesitant to go see the movie in the event it's not as good as the book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...