Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chevron Vanity


This was my first time painting or re-doing a piece of furniture and let me tell you.. 
it wasn't easy!

 After one major set back (and one minor melt-down) the finished product is 
exactly what I envisioned!


I started off with a vanity that I purchased from Target about 4 years ago.  After surviving with me during two years of college and three moves it isn't a shock that this poor piece of furniture had seen better days -


The Problem
1. The top was stained with 4 years worth of makeup
2. Over cluttered 
3. Plain Boring



In order to solve this problem I started by taking apart the mirror and removing the hardware.  I used a few pieces of computer paper and painters tape to protect the mirror while I gave the wood a fresh coat of white paint.


 After I re-painted the entire vanity glossy white, I started working on the chevron stripes.  I knew there was no way for me to free hand this so I searched online for some sort of template and I came across this one at Billiemonster.com.  I chose to use the large/thin template and I printed out enough to fit my vanity lengthwise.  


I lined up the bottom points with one side of the vanity and taped the template into place. Then began the long tedious process of taping off the perfect lines until I was left with...

This

 I also decided to add a little pop of color to the front drawer and sides so I taped them off and painted


After several coats of gray paint and much anticipation it was time to unveil my masterpiece..
  Or not! 


It was a painters tape disaster!

The paint leaked underneath the tape due to slight ridges in the vanity that were hardly even noticeable.  If that wasn't bad enough the paint also ripped off entire chunks of paint with each piece that I pulled up.
Matt suggested that I sand and start over - but after all that time I spent taping I wasn't giving up that easy, plus whose to say the same thing wouldn't happen twice? 
So instead I went in with a paint brush and meticulously fixed each line by hand!



Once I finished patching up the stripes I sealed the whole top with polyurethane and I'm hoping that it will last me many years to come! 
 
Sure this process took some time (about 5 hours total) but don't you think it was worth it?!




So c'mon tell me what you think! 
Comment below and please don't forget to follow us! 

This is just the first piece to my vanity corner revitalization project! Stay tuned to see what other pieces I revamped and to see the completed look!

I hope you're having a great weekend!

-Alison

P.S. 
We're linking this project up with these parties!




Pin It

33 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! It's always wonderful when such time and effort leads to such a great result. Curious if you sealed it all or left as is?

    -sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did seal it with polyurethane! Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to add that into the post!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful!!! Glad you only had one major setback and one major meltdown, heehee. Great job, I found you at Friday Fun Party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks great i would love for you to link it up at http://twiggstudios.blogspot.com/2012/03/sunday-show-off-linky-party-4.html

    enjoy the rest of your weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are invited to participate in my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/03/show-your-stuff-13-chocolate-cover.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. i can't believe you essentially ended up hand painting this! it turned out lovely! i'd love for you to link this up to my new spread the love link party. there is also an amazing giveaway going on now for a green berry shop scarf! http://www.lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com/2012/03/spread-love-1-green-berry-shop-giveaway.html check it out if you are interested! {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a shame we have to suffer for beauty but I'm surprised you were able to cover all the steps you did in just 5 hours...I'm thinking it would take me 5 days! I love a chevron and I think this looks great. Good for you that you didn't throw in the towel and start over but figured out how to move forward when you faced a disappointing tape removal / reveal. I notice you used the blue tape and I honestly have never had success with it ... have you ever tried Frog Tape (the green stuff)? It actually has a component in it that absorbs paint that lands on it so it won't bleed ... there's probably no 100% solution to taping, but I've never had a single paint bleed once I switched to Frog Tape. Enjoyed this first post as a new Follower!

    Robin
    happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the tip! I'm definitely going to try the frog tape next time! And thanks for stopping by - I'm going to check out your blog now ;)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! I love the Chevrons. We recently hand painted wallpaper on my craft room wall. I totally understand the melt down thing! Great job!

    -Jacque@theDIYvillage.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out GREAT, but no wonder you had a melt down. I doubt you could have started with anything more difficult.....all that taping. It can only get easier after that project.

    NOW FOLLOWING YOU, so please come visit me and 'follow back'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Alison. I'm sure it took you a while to paint the chevron pattern, but it sure was worth your time! I'm loving the transformation! I'm your newest fan. Please stop by bellanest.blogspot.com if you get a chance. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the chevron pattern and this project is just awesome!

    http://www.seesewandseedlings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome, love the pattern and you creativity. Thanks for sharing and linking up to my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great. I love that you didn't just get rid of it, but updated to fit your lifestyle now. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very pretty pattern and a great idea. It really brightens up the white. Looking forward to see more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful chevron - go girl! new linky party opening up! c'mon by & play if you'd like!

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in love with this redo! Lovin' some chevron.

    http://shabbysweettea.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. How great is that?! Nice job!
    ~Elena
    http://acasarella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks wonderful! I just finished a quilt using chevrons so you know I'm a fan ;) I also second Robin's comment about frog tape, I've heard it's way better than plain ol' painter's tape.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the chevron and color.. It's really frustrating for a paint disaster after all that taping, but you did well painting the lines yourself.. :)
    Thanks for linking up at friday fun party
    Hani
    craftionary.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. Visiting from Debbie Doo's! This vanity is amazing! Love the chevrons! Thanks for the inspiration.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! You really brought the beauty out of that vanity!;-) I love it. Thanks for sharing the how tos. New follower.
    Peggy
    pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday! I appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the chevron pattern, it turned out great!

    Shannon @SewSweetCottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. That is gorgeous. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sooooooo sorry you had to do all that touching up!

    But the end result is fantabulous!

    I love the gray with the white!

    And I would LOVE IT if you'd share this at Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL going on right now!

    http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/03/feature-friday-free-for-all-10-my.html

    Hope to see you soon!

    P.S. I'm a new follower. : )

    ~Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it!! You did a great job!! I'm your newest GFC and Linky Follower. I'd love it if you could follow back. http://www.applesandpnutbutter.blogspot.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. Turned out beautiful! what a laboe of love! Thank you for sharing at Uncommon! Bonnie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are featured this week on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy! Love your chevron table -- pinned it too!
    Please feel free to stop by and grab a Featured Button. Can’t wait to see what other project you’ve been working on — hope you will link again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job! I am passing on the Liebster Blog Award to you. Come visit http://urbanhoot.blogspot.com/2012/03/liebster-blog-award.html to find out how to pass the award on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...