Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rolling Pin Apron Rack!


I originally got this idea when I saw this for sale on Etsy for $88.   I loved the idea and thought it would be perfect for the deli, but it seemed a little pricey.  So after showing it to Matt we decided that we could make it ourselves for much less.  I found these two vintage rolling pins on Etsy and purchased them both for about $30 dollars and this piece of scrap wood is something we picked up last time we were in NJ.

The first step was measuring and cutting the rolling pins in half.  Matt used a table saw angled at 15 degrees to make the perfect cuts.  

Make sure that the rolling pins you're using don't have a metal rod 
on the inside or else this step may not be so easy! 

Our board was a little long because I'm thinking about hanging it on the back of a door.  
Once Matt trimmed it up we nailed two hangers on the back. 
 
After a lot of careful measuring Matt (with Huck as his helper) drilled the holes into the wood.  


The hardest part (which I was to intrigued with watching that I forget to take pictures of!) was figuring out how to attach the rolling pins.  
Matt and his dad drew out a grid on the back of the wood so they knew where the pin would be centered.  Then Matt held the pin in place on the back of the wood while his dad drilled through the front leaving a hole in the pin.  

Once all of the pins had centered holes we flipped the board over and lined these holes with the holes on the board and screwed them together.

I don't think we'll get the actual effect of the finished product until we see it up in the deli. 
For now I just hung it up in the basement to show you and get an idea. 




So what do you think???
 Please comment below and don't forget to follow my blog through Google or Linky!
Have a great day!
I'm sharing this project at these great blogs!
Pin It

39 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Following you on Linky!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The rolling pins look amazing on this rack. I made one out of wine barrel staves and old coat hooks, but would love to make one like this also.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ideas sound great too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Please PLEASE link it up over at The DIY Dreamer!! PLEASE!!
    thediydreamer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY!! This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!! Wonderful idea!! I'm pinning it and sharing it on my Facebook page:) New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is awesome! My mom has a huge collection of vintage rolling pins but I'm not sure I could convince her to cut them in half. :) I'm your newest follower (on Linky and Google)!

    - sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your mom won't let you cut hers just order some off etsy like I did ;)

      Delete
  6. I love this blog...the ideas are all so interesting and the food looks great!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool - pinning it for a fun kitchen idea in my to-be-remodeled home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! I'd love to do this and hang on the back of my pantry door! Thanks for sharing the details of how to get them centered too :) Now I won't be able to keep from looking at thrift stores for rolling pins! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. Very nice tutorial too. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a fun idea! It reminds me of a project where people use old cheese graters with utensils in order to make wind chimes. I love the idea of repurposing old kitchen supplies! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so neat! What a cute little way to hang something in the kitchen! Love it! I invite you to link up at my first link party going on now. I hope to see you there.
    http://littlebeckyhomecky.blogspot.com/2012/02/fantabulous-friday-1-random-happenings.html

    Katie @ Little Becky Homecky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea! I have a vintage apron collection that would look wonderful on vintage rolling pins! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fabulous! I am inspired to make one for my kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this idea, I have a couple of old rolling pins I just may have to chop up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea....I'd love for you to share this @CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet party going on now-Sunday midnight…have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very clever! Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this idea! It would look so great in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous idea!! Love the variations in the rolling pins.
    Igottacreate.blogspot.com
    "Kiss Me I'm Irish" linky party now open.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cool! I bet some liquid nail or some sort of epoxy would work for attaching the rolling pins also.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This turned out so cool! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have an almost exact replica of the blue one! It's still in constant use in my kitchen and my Mom's & Grandma's too since at least the 1920s.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a great idea! I would love for you to Link up at my Linky party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com


    PS: I am your newest follower!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What do I think? Absolutely brilliant! Beautiful! So thrilled that you shared your post on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." at Rook No. 17. I'm pinning your post to my "repurposing genius" board and am spotlighting your post on my Facebook page today.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an awesome idea!!! I LOVE it! And perfect for the kitchen!! ~Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're a STAR tonight over at I Gotta Create!
    thanks so much for linking up <3 C'mon by and grab a feature button :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this! I currently use a "turtle" coat hanger thing... but I may need to replace it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing! What a creative idea for kitchen
    Thanks for linking up at friday fun party
    Love
    Hani
    http://craftionary.net

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is super super cute. I'm always looking for things to use vintage stuff for, and this is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this. I did something similar with croquette mallet heads. I'll have to find some rolling pins. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...